Life. Arte. Nerdiness. Politics. Culinary Adventures.

Writing and sharing everything I love with all of you. Also sharing a lot of anger. But mostly love. Anger-Love.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Food and Comics Panel at C2E2!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Why in the hell was there a culinary discussion happening at C2E2? Who would add a panel to the lineup that dealt with food and mash it with comics? Well C.B. Cebulski was bold enough to introduce and share his love for the culinary arts. Not only did he do that but he brought along one of the biggest names in food: Rick Bayless The Top Chef Master and creator of The Frontera Grill and Xoco. C.B. went BIG!

This panel was packed! By the time I found a seat (I was arrogant enough to show up 5 minutes before the panel started, I didn't think anyone would be there!) there wasn't an empty seat in the panel room, people were standing and everyone gave a extremely warm applause to Rick Bayless. The panel introduced Rick Bayless' accomplishments and related the culinary art form with the art and creativity that goes into comic books. Rick Bayless is as involved and passionate about his menus and cooking as any of the top writers and artists in the comic business is about their books. The panel talked about many parallels in both businesses such as the time to see a project go through, creative blocks and achievements through brainstorming, even went as far as to say that foodies are as vicious as fanboys! I won't say that I personally thought the panel was extremely informative or even that there is a direct connection between food and comics, but I was really entertained and I think that it's good for us nerds to learn about something other than the norm that you usually get from the panels.

Rick Bayless is a personal culinary hero of mine. This guy traveled to Mexico in the 70's and learned how to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from grandma's in pueblos throughout Mexico and put his own spin on them while keeping up with our tradition. I never ask any questions at panels... I decided to today. I decided to bypass a question and just give a statement of gratitude for Rick Bayless. When I stepped up to the microphone I simply said "Growing up in Pilsen we often argued over whose Grandma cooked better. Obviously that's a battle no one can win. Rick your menu pays great tribute to my Grandma and every Mexican Grandma out there because of the passion you put into your amazing food. It's also taught me to appreciate what I ate as a kid. When I'd walk into the kitchen on a random Sunday morning and smell my Grandma's "Menudo" I'd think "Oh Grandpa's drunk" (I received a big laugh from Rick) and thought nothing else, But now I realize that those moments, those meals weren't JUST to feed us but Grandma was cooking because she loved us. Just the way you love the food you cook and the people you cook for." I ran up to Rick while getting a warm ovation from the crowd and shook his hand and quickly left the panel cause I had to catch my train. Maybe I'll interview Rick Bayless in the future... today I just thanked a guy who makes me feel proud to be part of a culture who sees making food as an act of love and unity between family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment